Phone System Call Queues allow a team or department of users within an organization to respond to incoming calls. Sales calls can forwarded by a receptionist or Auto-Attendant to a sales team, where the first available team member can respond to the call. A Call Queue can be configured with a custom greeting, hold music, and queue limits.
To get started with setting up a Call Queue, the following will be needed:
- At least one Enterprise E5 license or an Enterprise E3 license with the Phone System add-on assigned to a user.
- A Domestic Calling Plan or Domestic and International Calling Plan license for users to receive calls from the Queue.
- A user with Global Administrator or Skype for Business Administrator roles assigned.
Please contact our Support Team to request the Phone System add-on or Calling Plan licenses. We will soon be adding these licenses to our Control Panel to allow fully self-service orders.
Creating a new Queue
- Log into the Office 365 portal (https://portal.office.com) with your Global Administrator or Skype for Business Administrator.
- Click on the Admin icon.
- Click the Admins centers icon in the left-hand menu and select Teams & Skype.
- Click the Legacy portal link in the left-hand menu.
- Click Call Routing in the left-hand menu.
- Click Call Queues.
- Click the Add New button.
- Fill out the details for the new Call Queue.
- Name: Enter a descriptive name for the queue. This can contain up to 64 characters. This name will be displayed in the notification to the agent for the incoming call.
- Phone Number: Optional Field. A number can be allocated to a queue for direct dialing. This number will need to be acquired from
- Domain: Select a domain for this queue.
- Greeting: This is the greeting that will be played to people who call the queue number or who are redirected to the queue.
- Music on hold: Required. This is the hold music that will play while a caller is waiting for an agent to respond. The default hold music can be selected, or a custom audio file can be uploaded.
- Call distribution method: Required. This will set whether an incoming call will ring for all available agents at the same time (Attendant) or if it will ring available agent one by one (Serial).
- Agent Opt out option: This option allows assigned agents to opt out of a queue within their Skype for Business settings.
- Call Agents: Use this field to select the Office 365 group, distribution list, or security group containing the agents to be assigned to this queue. Assigned agents must have a Phone System license and Calling Plan to receive queue calls. Up to 50 agents can be assigned to a queue.
- Maximum calls in the queue: This option sets the maximum number of calls that can wait in the queue.
- When the maximum number of calls is reached: This option sets how a call exceeding the maximum number setting will be handled. They can be disconnected, or forwarded to an agent, another queue, or an Auto-Attendant.
- How long a call can wait in the queue: This option sets the maximum amount of time a call can wait in the queue.
- When a call times out: This option sets how a call exceeding the maximum time setting will be handled. They can be disconnected, or forwarded to an agent, another queue, or an Auto-Attendant.
- Once all the options of the Call Queue has been set, click the Save button.