Creating new messages, within SmarterMail, as well as reply to
or forwarding existing messages can be quite easy. The following article will illustrate how to compose a basic message using SmarterMail.
1. Log into your SmarterMail web portal at https://smart.securembox.com
2. To create a new message, click New in the navigation pane toolbar or click New + Message from the icon bar. This will open a new message window that you will use to compose the email message.
The following fields will appear in the header of the message:
- From - Select the email address from which the message will be sent and/or the signature to use in this message. Note: This field only displays if the user has multiple addresses from which messages can be sent in SmarterMail (SMTP accounts or domain aliases) or has multiple signatures configured for the account. If the domain administrator has disabled the ability to override domain-level signatures, the user cannot choose an alternative signature for their SmarterMail email address.
- To - Type the email address for each primary recipient you want to receive your email. Multiple addresses can be used, simply separate each with a comma or semi-colon. Alternatively, click To in order to open your address book/contacts list and select recipients from there. SmarterMail Enterprise users can change the address book used to select email addresses from the Global Address List. Note: When entering addresses into the To, Cc, and Bcc fields, SmarterMail will auto-complete addresses by referencing your contacts list, mailing lists, your Auto-complete list, aliases or the Global Address List.
- Cc - Type the email addresses of recipients that should receive a carbon copy of the message. Alternatively, click Cc in order to open your address book/contacts list and select recipients from there.
- Bcc - Type the email addresses of recipients that should receive a blind carbon copy of the message. Alternatively, click Bcc in order to open your address book/contacts list and select recipients from there. Note: Emails listed in this field will be concealed from the complete list of recipients (those listed in the To and Cc fields). In addition, in a Reply All scenario, Bcc users do NOT receive a copy of the reply. For this reason, it is common practice to use the Bcc field when addressing a very long list of recipients or a list of recipients that should not (necessarily) know each other.
- Subject - Type a descriptive subject or title of the email.
The following options are available in the toolbar of the new message window:
- Send - Sends your message to the designated recipients.
- Save as Draft - Saves the message in its current state to the Drafts folder without actually sending it. This is useful if you need to continue writing the message at a later time.
- Attach Files - Allows you to attach files to the message. When files are attached to an outgoing message, a file manager will display at the bottom of the new message window. The file manager will display the name, size, and upload status of the file. Attachments must reach an upload status of 100% before the item is actually attached to the message. In addition, files that are attached to messages should NOT contain commas as this will corrupt the upload and attachment.Note: To remove an attached file prior to sending the message, click the trash icon in the file manager.
- Link From - Uses SmarterMail's File Storage feature to insert a link to a file saved on the mail server or connect a Google Drive account to SmarterMail. Either way, the links can be sent to recipients who can then download the linked file(s).
- Flags - Specifies delivery options and/or marks the message for follow-up.
- Message Priority - Specifies the importance of the message. By default, messages have a normal level of priority.
- Request a Read Receipt - Sends an email confirmation to the sender when the recipient opens the message.
- Mark for Follow-up - Marks the message for follow-up.
Replying to Email Messages
Alternatively, you may want to reply to the sender or to all of the recipients of a message. SmarterMail gives users two options for replying to a message:
- Reply - Addresses a response to the sender only.
- Reply All - Addresses a response to the sender and everyone else who received the message. This includes all email addresses listed in the To and Cc fields, except your own email address.
When replying to a message, SmarterMail automatically fills in the address fields with the email addresses of the recipients from the original message, the subject field with the subject from the original message preceded by "Re" (which means "regarding" or "in regards to"), and the text box with the text from the original message. It is possible to edit any of these pre-filed fields, however, as needed. All other message options are the same as when composing a new message.
Forwarding Email Messages
You may also want to simply forward a message to a third-party or to someone not already copied on the original message. This is very easy to do:
- Forward - Allows you to send the message to a third-party, not in the To or Cc fields.
When forwarding a message, SmarterMail automatically fills in the subject field with the subject from the original message preceded by "Fwd" (which means "Forward"), and the text box with the text from the original message. It is possible to edit any of these pre-filed fields, however, as needed. All other message options are the same as when composing a new message.
- Delete - Moves the message to the Deleted Items folder. Note: This is
the default action taken when a message is deleted. Depending on your account settings,
the delete action may be different.
- Move - Moves the selected message(s) to any available folder.
- Mark - Click this button and select the appropriate option to mark the selected message(s) as follow-up, no follow-up, or spam.
- Follow-up - Marks the selected message(s) for follow-up and changes the color of the follow-up flag appropriately.
- No follow-up - Removes the selected message(s) as being marked for follow-up and changes the color of the follow-up flag appropriately.
- Spam - Marks the message as spam and moves it to the Deleted Items folder. Note: SmarterMail uses Bayesian filtering to evaluate the header and content of an incoming message and determine the probability that it is spam. This type of spam filtering "learns" to differentiate real mail from unwanted junk mail by examining the words and punctuation in large samples of both types of messages. As a result, every time a user marks a message as spam, the Bayesian filtering improves. For users with the Cyren Premium Antispam add-on, messages marked as spam will be sent to Cyren for evaluation.
- Add - Creates a new task and links it to the message.
View - By default, SmarterMail displays messages in HTML format because it
provides formatting and markup capabilities that are not available in plain text.
However, there may be times when you want to view the message in a different format
or you need to view more than the message content. The different view options are
- HTML - Displays the message in HTML format, which allows for colors, fonts, graphics, and other formatting.
- Text - Displays the message in plain text, which only allows text content with no special formatting or graphics.
- Raw Content - Displays the content of the email exactly as the server received it. This is helpful if you cannot view the message in any other display mode.
- Header - Displays the header of the message, which indicates the path the email took to get to your email account, along with several other pieces of information.
- Print - Prints the message in whatever View you're in. For example, if you're viewing the raw content of the message then hit the print button, you will print the raw content.
Close - If a message is opened in a new window, this closes the window.