The following solution is based off the Outlook 2013 client:
1. Select File > Options > Advanced.
2. Scroll down to the Send and Receive section and select the Send/Receive button.
3. Once the Send/Receive Groups window appears, Select New and define a new account group the select OK.
4. Select the IMAP account and Click the check box next to " Include the selected account in this group. Once completed select OK.
5. While your new defined group is highlighted, deselect " Schedule an automatic send/receive every...minutes".
6. Highlight the All Accounts group and select edit.
7. Locate the IMAP account and remove the check for the "Include the Selected account in this group" setting. Once completed select OK.
Once the above has been completed, the configured IMAP account will no longer send the IDLE command to the server and all Send/Receive will have to be completed manually.